Tuesday, March 10, 2009

Crusty Old Cowboy

When we were growing up, my brothers and I spent a lot of time with my grandparents. My grandfather, Bill Chick was a wood carver. He would spend hours out in the garage carving stuff, and I would spend hours watching him.

This picture is of one of his little carvings that I have. In the background, is a windmill that either my grandfather, or my Uncle Gary made. If you know, please let me know.

One of my projects is to photograph the arts and crafts created by my family. At least as long as I can do it justice. Some of these items will be a challenge. My uncle Tom writes stories - how do you photograph one of those?

The shot was taken in my little DYI studio. The main lights are a couple of diffused fluorescent lights. The background is white poster paper lit by a halogen lamp (to give it sunset feel). In post-process, I opened up some shadows and sharpened the image some.

No comments: